1) What are the types of pump sets used and why in firefighting?
Jockey pump – used when there is a pressure drop.
Electric pump – Main pump starts instantly in case of fire and will cutoff.
Diesel pump – used in case of power shut down & Stand by Pump.
2) What is fire alarm check valve?
It allows flow in one direction and prevents backward flow and with this gives signal to BMS with alarms.
3) What is FM-200 and where is it used?
Heptafloropropane is colorless, liquefied compressed gas. It is stored as a liquid and dispensed into the hazard as a colorless, eclectically non-conductive vapour that is clear and does not obscure vision.
It is used in communication rooms, electrical rooms, computer rooms etc.
4) Types of detectors?
Smoke, Heat & Multi detectors etc.
5) Do we use strainers in fire pumps? Why?
No, we don’t use it because the water coming is portable usually only in cases where we are using river or lake water then we require strainers. Else we prefer not to use them as it will reduce suction flow.
6) Radius of a sprinkler?
Extended coverage sprinklers have a water distribution radius of a little over 10 feet.
7) What is the distance between each sprinkler?
Its 3 m to 4m.
8) Working pressure of fire system?
Its Depends on Site condition or Hydraulic Calculation .
9) What is Siamese Connection?
Used as auxiliary connection through which the fire department can pump water to supplement existing water supplies.
10) What are the Settings of Diesel pump upon how much pressure it is cut off?
Diesel Pump Stand by Pump, it’s auto start not off.
11) What is OS&Y, Tamper switch, Pressure switch and their working?
OS&Y valve – Outside screw & Yoke – is used in fire system mains and is used for easy knowing whether it is in open position or closed as we cannot know from a typical gate valve or ball valve.
12) Tamper switch – It is a supervisory device located on the control valves of a fire protection system. The tamper switch is a device which, when connected to an alarm panel or sounder, signals a disturbance (opening or closing) at the control valves of the system.
13) Pressure Switch – These critical components sense the activation of the system and then electrically secure the ventilation systems operating in the protected space.
13) What is the use of strainer?
It is installed before the cooling coil to protect dirt & foreign material entering into the cooling coil /evaporator.
14) What is the use of staircase pressurization?
To provide fresh & clean air in the staircase when fire occurs in the floor. The pressurized air keeps the smoke away from the stair wall. It is used for creating positive pressure.
15) Name some fine controlled Valves?
Needle valve,Spindle valve, regulating valve, motorized valved etc.
16) What should be height of fire cabinet from floor level?
17) What are the different types of sprinkler heads used in fire protection system?
Upright sprinkler, Pendent sprinkler, Side wall sprinkler, Pendent Recessed sprinkler, extended side wall sprinkler, extended coverage etc.
18) What is the test pressure for firefighting pipe network?
1.5 times working pressure.
19) What is the temperature rating for firefighting sprinkler head?
170°F or 76°c.
20) What is the fire department connection known as?
Siamese siamese connection.
21) Name the different types of fire extinguisher?
Portable type CO2, Portable type Dry Powder & water.
22) What are the different types of Valve used in fire protection system?
Alarm valve, Zonal valve etc.
23) What the pipe material used for underground fire piping?
UPVC, MDPA, RTR.
24) What is zone control valve?
It is used in off system on every floor. it consist of OS & Y Gate valve with tamper switch, Check Valve, pressure gauge, Drain point, Flow meter & Sight glass. “Check FF Notes”.
25) What is the standard length of hose in a hose reel cabinet?